The ambipolar drift
mobility of holes in n‐type HgCdTe with nominal composition of x=0.215 was determined by the Haynes–Shockley experiment. The measurement was performed using a novel device that includes a special photoconductive sensing structure. The output device samples the excess carriers by sensing the conduction modulation in a narrow region. This method enables the measurement of the moving excess carriers packet without the conventional junction that is used traditionally. This way the difficulty to produce a sensing p‐n junction on n‐type HgCdTe is eliminated. The mobility of holes at 77 K was measured to be 570 cm2 V−1 s−1 and its temperature dependence is given by μa=A⋅T−n where n=2.78±0.1 and A=108 in the 77–87 K temperature range.
- 1. J. R. Haynes and W. Shockley, Phys. Rev. 81, 835 (1951). Google Scholar,
- 2. R. B. Adler, A. C. Smith, and R. L. Longini, Introduction to Semiconductor Physics (Wiley, New York, 1964). Google Scholar
- 3. M. A. Kinch, S. R. Borrello, and A. Simmons, Infrared Phys. 17, 127 (1977). Google Scholar
- 4. S. R. Borrello, M. A. Kinch, and D. Lamont, Infrared Phys. 17, 121 (1977). Google Scholar
- 5. P. W. Kruse, L. D. McGlauchlin, and R. B. McQuistan, Elements of Infrared Technology (Wiley, New York, 1962). Google Scholar
- 6. C. T. Elliott, D. Day, and D. J. Wilson, Infrared Phys. 22, 31 (1982). Google Scholar
- 7. E. Finkman (private communication). Google Scholar
- 8. Y. Nemirovsky and I. Kidron, Solid State Electron. 22, 831 (1979). Google Scholar
- 9. E. Finkman and Y. Nemirovsky, J. Appl. Phys. 50, 4356 (1979). Google Scholar,
- 10. J. P. McKelvey, Solid State and Semiconductor Physics (Harper and Row, New York, 1966). Google Scholar
- 11. E. S. Rittner, in Photoconductive Conference, Atlantic City 1954, edited by R. C. Breckenridge (Wiley, New York, 1956), pp. 215–268. Google Scholar
- 12. J. L. Schmit, J. Appl. Phys. 41, 2870 (1970). Google Scholar
- © 1984 American Institute of Physics.
Please Note: The number of views represents the full text views from December 2016 to date. Article views prior to December 2016 are not included.