This paper investigates how postgrowth
annealing affects the structure and the electro-optical properties of low-temperature grown GaAs (LT-GaAs). A systematic study of as-grown and annealed LT-GaAs revealed that the carrier lifetime is directly related to the density of the An duster and distance between As clusters. The Ga/As compositional ratio and the crystal structure of As clusters were observed for the first time. The As/Ga ratio of the As clusters is higher than that obtained from the LT-GaAs. The carrier lifetime of the annealed LT-GaAs increases as the annealing temperature increases from 400 (less than 30 fs) to (824 fs). Under the annealing temperatures ranging from 600 to for 90 s, we observed the emission of terahertz radiation using the annealed LT-GaAs grown at temperatures ranging from 260 to .
This work was supported by a grant from the Ministry of Information and Communication in the South Korea, under Project No. A1100-0601-0110. The authors would like to thank Mr. Ho-Sang Kwack and Professor Yong-Hoon Cho of the Chungbuk National University for their analysis with photoluminescence measurements; Ms. Soo-Hyun Kang and Mr. Kyoo-Ho Jung of the Dong-Guk University for their assistance with Hall measurements; and Dr. Chul Kang of the Advanced Photonic Research for helpful discussions. The authors also thank Mrs. Jung-Suck Lee of the Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute (ETRI) for x-ray measurements as well as Mr. Dae-Won Kang and Mr. Ju-Wook Lee of the ETRI for TEM analysis.
- 1. F. W. Smith, A. R. Calawa, C. Chen, M. J. Manfra, and L. J. Mahoney, IEEE Electron Device Lett. https://doi.org/10.1109/55.2046 9, 77 (1988). Google Scholar,
- 2. A. C. Warren, J. M. Woodall, J. L. Freeout, D. Grischkowsky, D. T. McInturff, M. R. Melloch, and N. Otsuka, Appl. Phys. Lett. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.103474 57, 1331 (1990). Google Scholar,
- 3. J. N. Miller and T. S. Low, J. Cryst. Growth https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-0248(91)90942-X 111, 30 (1991). Google Scholar
- 4. X. Liu, A. Prasad, W. M. Chen, A. Kurpiewski, A. Stoschek, Z. Liliental-Weber, and E. R. Weber, Appl. Phys. Lett. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.112490 65, 3002 (1994). Google Scholar
- 5. D. C. Look, Thin Solid Films https://doi.org/10.1016/0040-6090(93)90703-R 231, 61 (1993). Google Scholar
- 6. U. Siegner, M. Haiml, F. Morier-Genoud, R. C. Lutz, P. Specht, E. R. Weber, and U. Keller, Physica B (Amsterdam) 273–274, 733 (1999). Google Scholar
- 7. H. S. Loka, S. D. Benjamin, and P. W. E. Smith, Opt. Commun. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0030-4018(99)00059-0 161, 232 (1999). Google Scholar
- 8. M. lagadas, K. Tsagaraki, Z. Hatzopoulos, and A. Christou, J. Cryst. Growth https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-0248(93)90581-G 127, 76 (1993). Google Scholar
- 9. R. Takahashi, Y. Kawamura, and H. Iwamura, Appl. Phys. Lett. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.116131 68, 153 (1996). Google Scholar,
- 10. R. Mendis, C. Sydlo, J. Sigmund, M. Feiginov, P. Messener, and H. L. Hartnagel, Solid-State Electron. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sse.2004.05.055 48, 2041 (2004). Google Scholar
- 11. M. R. Melloch, J. M. Woodall, and E. S. Harmon, Annu. Rev. Mater. Sci. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.matsci.25.1.547 25, 547 (1995). Google Scholar
- 12. X. Liu, A. Prasad, J. Nishino, and E. R. Weber, Appl. Phys. Lett. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.114782 67, 279 (1995). Google Scholar,
- 13. J. Behrend, M. Wassermeier, and K. H. Ploog, Surf. Sci. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0039-6028(96)01133-8 372, 307 (1997). Google Scholar
- 14. S. D. Benjamin, H. S. Loka, A. Othonos, and P. W. E. Smith, Appl. Phys. Lett. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.116178 68, 2544 (1996). Google Scholar,
- 15. G. C. Cho, W. Kütt, and H. Kurz, Phys. Rev. Lett. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.65.764 65, 764 (1990). Google Scholar,
- 16. U. Siegner, R. Fluck, G. Zhang, and U. Keller, Appl. Phys. Lett. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.117701 69, 2566 (1996). Google Scholar,
- 17. N. Katzenellenbogen and D. Grischkowsky, Appl. Phys. Lett. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.107762 61, 840 (1992). Google Scholar
- © 2008 American Institute of Physics.
Please Note: The number of views represents the full text views from December 2016 to date. Article views prior to December 2016 are not included.